skip navigation

Saints split doubleheader with Messiah

Saints split doubleheader with Messiah

COLUMBIA, Md. – The Marymount University baseball team split a doubleheader with Messiah College on Saturday in two seven-inning games at Blandair Regional Park.

Marymount 3, Messiah 1

Sophomore Ryan Bergenhagen got the start on the bump for the Saints, holding the Falcons to only one hit through the first three innings. He allowed the Saints to jump out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the third.

Senior Cal Berman led things off in the inning with a single, and junior Mike Ferrara reached on a fielder's choice to get two on. After advancing to second and third on a sacrifice bunt by sophomore Casey Baker, back-to-back Falcon errors allowed Berman and Ferrara to cross home.

Senior Luke Tyree, then, plated classmate Conner Hall on a sacrifice fly.

Bergenhagen continued to keep the Falcons at bay, only giving up two hits over the fourth and fifth innings, on the way to his first win of the season. He pitched five and one-third innings in all, striking out three.

Messiah was able to get a run across in the sixth inning, but senior Ryan Scheufele and Hall combined to pitch the final one and two-thirds innings to close the door.

Hall pitched the seventh, earning his first save of the year.

Senior Michael Wade led the Saints at the plate in the game, going 2-for-2 with a walk.

Messiah 3, Marymount 2

The Falcons jumped out to an early lead in the second game with a run in the first inning, but that would be the only run in the game until some late-game rallies in the seventh.

Freshman Kenny Frank made the start for Marymount, pitching four innings and allowing only one hit. Sophomore Drew Mead came on in the fifth to pitch two innings and give up only two hits, to keep the Saints down only one.

Ethan Hess proved just as effective for the Falcons, allowing only three Saints hits through the first six innings.

However, singles by Wade and Baker to lead off the seventh got the offense rolling. After Wade advanced second on a wild pitch, he came home to tie the score, 1-1, on Baker's hit.

Baker advanced to second on the throw home, as Wade scored, before getting to third on another wild pitch. He then came home on a sacrifice fly off the bat of sophomore Bill Wojcik, giving Marymount a 2-1 lead late in the game.

Messiah was forced to come up to bat in the bottom of the seventh, after the Saints' rally, but two errors eventually led to a two-run single by Trent Culver for the Falcons' win.

Baker led the Saints at the plate, going 2-for-3 with one run and one RBI.

The Saints will be back in action on Wednesday, March 6 at Barcroft Park, hosting Randolph-Macon College; first pitch is set for 12 p.m.