Posted: May 07, 2022
WASHINGTON – Thanks to a split on Saturday evening at Nationals Youth Academy, Marymount baseball took two of three in the series against Neumann to head into the Atlantic East Tournament with momentum.
- A four-run third inning by Neumann proved too much for Marymount to overcome in the opener.
- Two walks and a pinch-hit single from Jordan Dickson loaded the bases for the Saints in the fifth inning. Robby Cable was hit by a pitch to bring in Marymount's first run of the day.
- Bryce Smith cleared the bases with a three-RBI double to left center to bring MU within a run at 5-4.
- Neumann iced the 7-4 win with two unearned runs in the top of the sixth inning.
- Four Saints combined to throw seven innings of two-hit ball with Brett Kelley earning the win on the mound.
- Mason Burke went 4-for-4 with four base knocks to lead Marymount.
- Back-to-back RBI singles from Ryo Fabre and Bryce Smith brought home the first two runs of the game in the third inning.
- In the bottom of the fourth inning, Marymount exploded for nine runs, highlighted by a grand slam from Kenny Frank. Smith had another RBI single, bringing home two runs on a single to left-center.
- Neumann scored its lone run on a wild pitch in the sixth inning.
- The game was called after seven innings due to weather and a mutual agreement between managers with Marymount winning 11-1.
- Marymount has clinched the No. 4 seed in the double-elimination Atlantic East Tournament set to begin next Wednesday.
- The Saints will travel to face the conference's No. 1 seed in a single game on Wednesday afternoon. Immaculata has a two-game lead over Cabrini for the conference's top seed with both teams set to play doubleheaders on Sunday.
- The conference tournament will continue with more games hosted by the No. 1 seed on Friday, May 13 and Saturday, May 14.
- Stay tuned to MarymountSaints.com for scheduling updates.