Posted: Sep 28, 2022
ARLINGTON, Va. – Marymount men's soccer picked up an impressive come-from-behind victory over York (Pa.) on Wednesday night at Long Bridge Park.
- This is the first time MU has topped York since 1999. The two schools used to play each other on a yearly basis in the Capital Athletic Conference.
- Leonardo Torres scored two goals on Wednesday, upping his season total to five tallies. For his career, Torres has now scored 21 goals (fifth in program history) and 51 points (fourth in program history).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- York got on the board first with a goal from Luke Nall in the sixth minute. Cole Kendra sent the ball into the box on a corner and Nall made an acrobatic play to find the back of the net.
- Marymount pushed the pace in the first half and held an 8-3 advantage in shots taken in the frame.
- Torres found paydirt in the 30th minute thanks to a free kick from Jesus Rios. Torres got up and headed it in for the equalizer.
- The two teams went into the half deadlocked at 1-1.
- In the 68th minute, Rodrigo Anez-Soliz played a short ball up to Torres who beat his man and fired a low liner all the way to the far post for the game-winner.
- The Saints played disciplined all night and received no cards, compared to four for the Spartans.
- Marymount begins a four-game stretch away from Arlington on Saturday at Wilson.
- Kick-off is set for 4 PM.
- Conference play begins for the Saints on Wednesday at 7 PM against Gwynedd-Mercy.