WINCHESTER, Va. - Marymount's cross country program traveled back down I-66 on Saturday to compete in the Hornet Harrier Invitational, hosted by Shenandoah University.
The Saints notched strong finishes across the board at the event, continuing to push the cross country envelope before the coming meets.
- The men's team competed in the 6k event, finishing in fourth place. Their scoring order finished out at 18-21-22-23-24, with an average time of 24:44.
- The women also finished fourth in their 6k event, with a scoring summary of 5-18-29-32-39(43). They notched an average time of 27:34.
- Last week's AEC Runner of the Week, Avery Finnegan, had the top showing for the Saints at the meet. Finishing sixth out of 61 racers in the 6k event, the freshman finished with a time of 24:42.6, beating her 6k best previously set at the NCAA South Regional Preview just last weekend.
- Louis Aquilina grabbed the top spot for the men's 6k out of Marymount's runners, finishing 19th with a total time of 22:35.1.
- Ziyan Qutub continues to improve for MU, finishing 21st out of the 61 racers in the women's 6k with a time of 26:42.7. The time was another new best on the day for the Saints.
- Ariana Grant finished 34th with a time of 28:00.1 in the women's event.
- Matt Zirkle had a strong showing at the event, finishing with a time of 24:39.9.
- Cole Valente and Gustavo Barrera rounded out the men's finishes for the Saints.
- Madeleine Pare, Gabrielle Wiersky, and Kristin Johnson each finished strong for Marymount on the women's side of the 6k event.
- The Saints will hit the trail again in less than a week, taking on the Paul Short Run at Lehigh next Friday, Sept. 3rd.
- Saturday, Oct. 15, the Saints will host the Marymount Derby in Leesburg, Va. More details to follow in the coming weeks.