skip navigation

Second-Half Surge Downs Saints

Second-Half Surge Downs Saints

Arlington, Va. – Despite its early first-half lead, the Marymount women's lacrosse team could not hang on as Virginia Wesleyan used a big second half to down the Saints, 10-8.  Marymount slides to 1-6 on the season with the nonconference loss.

The Saints dominated possession the first half, jumping out to a 4-1 lead in the first 15 minutes.  Abby Wescott juked a defender before creating a clear lane to Steph Keane, who put away the first tally at the 22:56 mark.  The Marlins netted the equalizer within the next 30 seconds, but Marymount was quick to retaliate.

Wescott drove deep into Marlins territory before again using her stellar field vision.  The freshman wrapped around the goal to find Jacki Belker about five yards out.  The senior captain buried a belt-high beam to give the Saints the 2-1 edge with 18:55 left to play.

Back-to-back blasts from Megan McGuirk – courtesy of a free-position shot and another beautiful feed from Wescott, respectively – gave Marymount the 4-1 advantage with 16:41 remaining in the opening frame.

VWU cut the deficit in half with a strike at the 15:21 mark, but the Saints were not through just yet.  After a long defensive stand, Marymount marched back into the Marlins zone to extend the margin.  This time Wescott found herself on the receiving end as McGuirk threaded the cluttered crease with a dart – giving Wescott room to wind up and pump a bullet past VWU netminder Madison Carroll.  The Saints pocketed the 5-2 lead and carried it into the break.

The momentum took quite the turn following the intermission as the Marlins came out and raked the Saints backline for four unanswered goals – all by the 23:02 mark.

Now trailing by one, 6-5, the Saints netted the equalizer off a short-range missile from Natalie Tinkham.  VWU broke the brief stalemate with 18:32 on the clock, but Marymount again responded in kind.  Wescott again found some space to survey the defense, eventually linking up with Keane for the second time – bringing the score to 7-7 with 13:21 remaining in the contest.

VWU responded with three unanswered tallies to up the ante to 10-7 with about two minutes showing on the clock.  Taylor Johnson swiped a rebound and spun a quick feed to Cat Powell to cut the margin to two, 10-8, but only 35 seconds lingered.  The narrow margin would hold for those few remaining ticks.

Marymount held the edge in shots (24-22), groundballs (35-27), and draw controls (11-9).  Keane paced the squad with five groundballs in the effort, while Jarrett Miller and Tylar Abrams each swiped four. 

Wescott collected five points between her four assists and single strike.

Marymount returns to action on Wednesday when it travels to face Goucher in a nonconference tilt.  Start time is slated for 4:30 p.m.